Hey Tien! First of all just wanted to say, I love your site! You are doing very well, keep up the great job! Secondly, I need your help! I’ve got my friend’s engagement party coming up but I don’t know what’s appropriate to wear (she’s the first out of my friends to get engaged) It will be held at home then later we’ll be heading out to a bar to celebrate. It’s currently freezing cold in Melbourne and I really suck at winter fashion. My style icon is Blake Lively, especially as Serena on GG. Please help!
T-Styled Me Answered:
Thanks so much for your question and encouraging words! Regarding what to wear to the engagement party, firstly check to see if the hosts have determined a dress code. I’m going to assume it’s an indoor catered party (rather than an outdoor BBQ affair) and therefore a smarter dress code will suit since you’ll be heading out to a bar afterwards too
Blake Lively has great style and a lovely figure (those legs!) so I’ve taken some inspiration from your Gossip Girl idol Serena for options:
COLOURED DRESS + STATEMENT JEWELLERY
- Grey Porter’s Silk Georgette Bat Winged Dress (similar style: Alice & Olivia dress)
- Blumarine Body Con Dress (similar styles: ASOS / BCBG One shoulder)
These are two Winter friendly dress options with sleeves I thought you could draw inspiration from. Both are appropriate for an indoor engagement party allowing you to sit, eat & drink and mingle comfortably and remain dressy enough for the bar afterwards. I’d pair both styles with black opaque or patterned tights, a nice pair of heels and STATEMENT jewellery would be non-negotiable!
- Add a statement necklace or bold cocktail ring (Options from Sportsgirl & ASOS)
- Bring a sparkly statement clutch to complement the outfit (Zara have great ones)
- Match with a tailored blazer if you need to keep warmer (I’ve got this one here that goes with everything!)
2. BLOUSE + SKIRT/TROUSERS + STATEMENT ACCESSORIES
I love Serena’s ability to pull together mismatched prints, textures and colours and her jewellery collection is to die for! As an option to a dress, you could try pairing a nice silk top with a dressy trousers (not jeans) a pencil skirt or a shorter flirty skirt with heels.
- If you opt for trousers, definitely wear heels to dress up the outfit.
- Rachel Gilbert Levi Top (Similar style here). I’d love to see the top above paired with this ASOS Skirt with a statement necklace.
- IRO Abstract Floral Skirt (Similar style here)
3. LITTLE BLACK DRESS (LBD) + STATEMENT JEWELLERY
As a fall back, the little black dress never fails! I’d opt for nude stockings or sheer black ones and add a belt, statement jewellery and a bright coloured coat !
- Stella McCartney Insert dress (I saw a very similar one in Zara in Melbourne!)
- Acne Dress (similar here and here)
- One shoulder dress (similar style here)
I hope I was able to help answer your question and that you have a great time at the engagement party! Would love to hear all about it