Remember how a recent post on my favourite places to shop in London included ‘Next’ for affordable casual and work-wear? Well, I walked past the Oxford St store a few weeks ago and was drawn to a floaty 1950s inspired coloured tea dress that I found myself instantly justifying the need to buy. ‘You could totally wear it to a wedding’ was the first thought that entered my head, quickly interjected by ‘Don’t waste your time justifying why you need it, the important question is which colour you should choose!’ I turned over the price tag and couldn’t believe it was only £40! Yay – A gem that didn’t break the bank! It was the first time I’d entertained shopping at Next for special occasion wear and I was honestly pleasantly surprised.
I’ve followed Kat William’s Rock n Roll Bride blog ever since a friend of mine shared her blog after attending Kat’s inspirational photography camp so when Kat announced a wedding fashion styling competition with ‘Next’ on her blog, I knew it would be so fun to enter, even if it were just to tell all of you about the new dress I’d fallen in love with!
The competition involves styling wedding outfits under £500 from the Next website so I’ve chosen to put together looks for wedding guests because while I personally love getting dressed up for weddings, it can also be a bit daunting for others – especially judging by the questions I receive from this blog for advice on what to wear to weddings.
If you’re a regular TSM reader, you’ll also know I believe spending huge amounts of money on designer brands doesn’t necessarily equate to looking stylish. Whether for work or weddings, good styling is about appreciating how to wear which clothes for your body shape. The great thing about the sizing at Next is that, as Tyra Banks would describe it, it’s ‘Fiercely real.’ Most clothes come in petite (UK Sz 6-18) – great for shorties like me!, Regular (Sz 6R-22R) and Tall (Sz 8T-18T) and they ship to over 59 countries! So here are the looks I’ve created to complement any body shape and size from Next. In case you want tips on identifying your body shape, simply refer back to my previous post.
Wedding Outfit Ideas For Pear Shaped Bodies
- Tip: Ideal dresses are those that add volume & detail to your upper half (go for a lower neckline) and skim, rather than cling to your hips.
- The tea dresses below have a beautifully feminine A-line skirt which is perfect for pears like me and by adding accessories such as the belt and necklace, this will visually create that coveted hourglass figure!
Outfit Details: All available from Next (Click on images below for prices & details)
Wedding Outfit Ideas For Inverted Triangle Shaped Bodies
- Tip: Dresses that emphasise the lower half and those that visually simplify your shoulders are ideal for those with a top heavy inverted triangle shape.
- The elegant one strap on the Brocade dress below helps narrow your top half and the dress is fitted with special Body Shaper Lining for that svelte silhouette.
Wedding Outfit Ideas For Rectangular Shaped Bodies
- Tips: Most dresses will look great on your shape (lucky you!) so aim to create some curves.
- All three dresses below I chose have common themes: They emphasise a waistline and the elements of pattern, peplum and a fit & flare skirt will instantly create visual curves.