Hi Tien! Love your blog! I need some help – I usually wear one simple outfit (blazer, trousers, sweater or A&F/RL shirt) and it can look really dowdy, old and boring. I have no idea how to accessorise or make my outfits look different or exciting! Please help!
T-Styled Me Answered:
Thanks for your question Kim! There’s nothing wrong with throwing on a safe outfit that works but if you find yourself reaching for that same outfit each time, you’ll naturally feel uninspired and it’s a sign to start trying new looks! If you feel most comfortable in a blazer and slacks, I’d suggest making this more exciting by mixing up different textures and colours as a start. Here are small changes I would make to freshen up your described outfit.
1. Alternate the RL shirt / A&F t-shirt with …
- Silk shirts/blouses ( try striped, patterned, neutral and bright colours).
- T-Styled me picks: Tops at Zara, Equipment blouses, James Perse
- Neutral coloured t-shirts (black, white, grey, blue)
- T-Styled Me Picks: T-by Alexander Wang, H&M, Reiss Tee
- An on-trend dressy top
- T-Styled Me Pick: Zara Peplum top
Source / I love a preppy RL crested shirt and a casual A&F tee but if you swap these for a fine silk or polyester shirt like Miranda Kerr’s above, you’ll instantly soften the look.
2. Replace / alternate your trousers with …
- Coloured or patterned denim (Refer to my previous post)
- T-Styled Me Picks: J Brand Jeans
- Jeggings / Leggings
- T-Styled Me Picks: Madewell Jeans, Warehouse Jeans from Asos
- A skirt with opaque stockings
- T-Styled Me Picks: Asos Skirt
Zara Denim: Instore at the moment … I’ve very tempted!
3. Swap your blazer once in a while for …
- A cropped jacket / Textured Blazer
- T-Styled Me Picks: Zara Blazer, H&M Cropped Blazer
- A leather jacket (Check out my previous styling post)
- Chunky knits (plentiful in Zara)
Source / A perfect example of how colour and accessories brighten up your outfit instantly
4. Ditch your sneakers for …
- Colourful flats / brogues
- T-Styled Me Picks: Marc Jacobs flats, Office mustard flats, topshop brogues
- Ankle boots
- T-Styled Me Picks: Rag & Bone Newbury Boots (love!) Zara booties
- T-Styled Me Picks: Topshop Burgundy suede toe caps
Source / An alternative way to wearing ankle instead of always tucking them in
5. Accessorise, accessorise, accessorise ! (This is most fun part!)
- Add a bright patterned scarf
- T-Styled Me Picks: Zara, Anthropologie, Theodora & Callum
- Find some costume jewellery that’s larger than life
- T-Styled Me Picks: Zara, House of Harlow, H&M
- Arm Candy: Play with different stones and textures
- T-Styled Me Picks: Zara neon, Reiss Chunky bracelet, Topshop spike bangle
Source: Try several pieces of jewellery that have a common colour theme
In my opinion, the accessories and shoes will make the most difference to your outfit so concentrate on taking some time to look through these at the stores. If you ever need a personal styling consultation and you’re in London – let me know and I can show you how!
Love, Tien xo