Hi T, I hope everything is well Your blog is such an inspiration for me! I was wondering if you had any tips for a college student who is packing for school. What are the essential clothing pieces? Something versatile would be the best!Thank you!!
T-Styled Me Answered
Hi! I’ve always wondered what it would be like to go away for ‘college’ like they do in the movies and on Greek. Having gone to university in my own hometown of Melbourne, I commuted every day and didn’t need to live on campus. I envy the experience you’re about to have (Will you be joining a sorority, play beer pong and go to band camp? JK) but I for one am glad the days of study groups, tutorials, group assignments and cramming for exams are over!
I’m not familiar with how much you’d need to pack and for how long but I’d suggest the ratio be: 80% for casual 10% evening wear and 10% accessories and shoes. Dress comfortably and stay true to your style. My recommendations below are for items that can be mixed and matched in different categories to help you create multiple outfits.
- Jeans/trousers: You’ll want at least two pairs of jeans with you: One for casual everyday wear for classes that you can alternate with say a darker pair that can be dressed up in the evenings.
- Shorts: Whether denim or leather, wear them to class in the warmer months on their own and over tights and sneakers in the fall.
- Flippy skirt: Have a fun floral skirt that can be layered in the cooler months with tights and boots but one which you can dress up for a night out with the girls.
- Tees: I’d suggest plenty of comfy t-shirts to wear at College. Take a few neutral coloured ones and add some with patterns and graphics to the mix as well. Long and short sleeve for layering is ideal.
- Shirts: A couple of shirts in a variety of patterns would be useful to mix. A chambray shirt would be perfect for a college with your jeans if you’re more a girly girl then a floral or patterned chiffon shirt would also go well with shorts.
- Wool long sleeved knits: Pack a few sweaters and cardigans that you can layer on top of your shirts and tees to keep you warm. I myself am addicted to cardigans!
1. T by Alexander Wang Muscle T-shirt in black 2. Tibi wool 3/4 Sleeve Pullover 3. Topshop Moto Blue Oxford Denim Shirt 4. Equipment Reece clean blouse 5. Brian Lichtenberg Feline T-shirt 6. All Saints Silk Biker T-shirt 7. Zara Check shirt
- Parkas: A casual jacket or parkas with detachable hood is a great look to have on campus for any casual outfit. Parkas a removable warmer lining will prove to be versatile for the impending cooler conditions.
- Leather Jacket: Whether it be faux or real, a leather jacket is a sure way of dressing up your outfit on or off campus. Choose one that would suit both!
- Pea coat/Blazer: If the weather is set to be a lot cooler, I’d bring a wool coat that you can keep in your closet in the event of an unexpected cold weather.
- Summer dress with sleeves that you can wear when it’s still warm and then layer with tights and your leather jacket for Fall.
- A tunic or long sleeved easy to throw on dress that you can quickly pop on when there’s no time for coordinating an outfit.
- A cocktail dress or two for any on-campus functions and special dates you might have 😛
- Shoes: Pack shoes that are comfortable enough to carry you across campus e.g sneakers, loafers/ballet flats, some ankle/long flat boots and a pair of heels to wear out.
- Accessories: Scarves, hats, jewellery that you can mix and match with different outfits are essential. This is where your personality can really shine through so have some fun!
- Bags: If I did college over again, I’d invest in a smart leather backpack to help lug around all those notes and books. Pack a neutral colour bag that can be worn in class with ample space and a handbag / purse for a more polished look for a night out.
1. Madewell Leather Rucksack 2. Converse All Star Ox Plimsolls 3. Midi Ring 4. Tory Burch 5. Topshop Pastel Flatop Sunglasses 6. Topshop Beekeeper Felt Hat 7. Topshop Maye Suede Slippers 8. Alexander McQueen Skill Print chiffon scarf 9. Longchamp Le Pliage Large leather tote
I hope you found some inspiration from my hand-picked suggestions and good luck for this semester of college!